Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Mysore

Ahhh Mysore, what a green city, lots of huge, old growth trees along wide streets and even with a population of 1.5 million, Mysore seemed like a village compared to the big cities I had been to on this trip. I stayed at the Indus Valley Ayurvedic Center, which I would highly recommend as I had the best massage treatments so far in India. They were so good mainly because finally there were pads on the hard wooden tables which my bony self was so grateful for and also before each treatment they sang a prayer to Ganesh who paved the way for the healing process to begin. Om Gam Ganapataya Namaha. I had my first 4 hand massage and now how can I go back to just 2 =) and then sat in a steam machine with just my head poking out - it was great!


I also did some sightseeing of local tourist attractions like Tipu Sultan's summer palace and his mausoleum and mosque. He was the de facto ruler of the kingdom of Mysore from 1750 to 1799 and fought four battles against the British, winning two and losing two. The last one was lost due to a traitorous minister of defense who was his cousin and was promised the throne only to later be shot by the British himself. Tipu Sultan died in this final battle and was buried in the mausoleum he had built for his parents. He was allied with the French in his wars with the British and upon their request he built a huge cathedral in the city called St. Joseph's.
Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace

Messenger Pigeon House



Tipu Sultan's Mausoleum and Mosque

St. Joseph's Cathedral




There is also a huge palace that was finished more recently in 1912 and was home to the Wodeyar kings who initially had been part of the Vijayanagara Empire but when it disintegrated in 1565 they became an independent kingdom and remained so until 1799 when the British gained control of that region of India. Mysore palace lights up every Sunday night for 1 hour so I got some great footage of it in the day and then later that night.



Also the market in Mysore is HUGE rows and rows of flowers, fruits and vegetables and kitchenware and I got some great shots.



King of the Veggie Mountain 

My Favorite Part: Scratching the Necks of the Cows







No comments:

Post a Comment